Every good gift, every perfect gift, comes from above. These gifts come down from the Father, the creator of the heavenly lights, in whose character there is no change at all. (James 1:17)
Sometimes, God blesses us with extravagant blessings. The birth of a child or grandchild, a beautiful wedding, the graduation of a child from college or high school, a wonderful vacation, a promotion at work, or the purchase of a new home are all blessings that change our lives forever.
But often, God blesses us with smaller gifts that lighten our load and brighten our day. These good gifts may include…
- You enjoy a hot cup of coffee at the beginning of the day.
- Your spouse leaves a note that simply says, “I love you.”
- Your favorite song comes on the radio.
- Your teenage child hugs you and says “thank you” for no reason other than they love you and are thankful for you.
- A card arrives from a friend that says exactly what you need to hear.
- A Facebook or Instagram post appears that reminds you of good times and good friends.
- Your boss encourages you with a complement or note.
- It’s a rainy afternoon and you have a good book to read or a good movie to watch.
- A beautiful sunset reminds you of the majesty and goodness of God.
- Your drive to Nashville goes smoothly and you experience little to no traffic.
- A song in worship brings a tear to your eye as you are reminded of the love and grace of God.
- Everyone in your family is home for dinner and you experience laughter and joy around the table.
- You enjoy a “date night” with your spouse and reconnect with the one you love.
- The car in front of you pays for your coffee or meal in the drive thru.
- You’re able to take a walk or get some much-needed exercise.
- Your head hits the pillow and you don’t wake up until your alarm goes off the next morning.
- A drive through the country reminds you of how beautiful God’s creation is, and how blessed you are to live in south-central Tennessee
- A day goes by with no conflict at home or at work.
- You enjoy a hot cup of tea at the end of the day.
These “good gifts” and more, given to us by the Father, are a constant reminder of His love and kindness for His children.
I pray your upcoming week is filled with good gifts and continual reminders of how much your Father loves you.